Friday 22 July 2016

Cinnamon ISijingi (Pumpkin/ Butternut Porridge)

Cinnamon ISijingi (Pumpkin/ Butternut Porridge)

Isijingi is a traditional porridge which is originally made out of pumpkin/butternut and maize meal.
My granny used to make this delicious healthy porridge for us whenever we visited her at the South Coast. I would be the first to admit I wasn't always a fan of it reason being; I grew up hating vegetables……hahaha but don’t all kids do!

I recently found out that Isijingi is a known meal even outside South Africa, it’s known in Zimbabwe as Nopi.
I also found out that some Nguni tribes have it as a main course and they eat it at any time of the day.

Today I twisted my Granz original recipe by adding Cinnamon which goes so well with butternut or pumpkin and I will be eating mine with Pineapple Syrup(I can’t let this Pineapple I’ve garnished with go to waste now hey….. wink wink)

Ingredient
1 medium sized butternut (Cubed into small pieces)
4cups boiling water
2 cups maize meal
Table spoon of Cinnamon
 Pinch of Salt

Method:
1.       Cook pumpkin/ butternut with Cinnamon and a Pinch of Salt in boiling water until soft.
2.       When soft smash without removing it from the stove
3.       Add maize meal and mix well with a wooden spoon on a blow before pouring it into the pot
4.       Simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes, stirring continuously until cooked.

Tip : a Pinch of salt always enhances the sweetness of the pumpkin or butternut 

N.B. I had my Isijingi with Pineapple syrup……So do let me know what you served yours with.

Xoxo
Samke
Sugar&Spices





2 comments:

  1. My African Queen though...I'm loving what I see hey...what a combination worth trying out hey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaah mannnn Thank you Ayanda.You should try it, it's worth a try.hahaha yes combination of colours and vibrant ingredients indeed hun.
      I look forward to your feed back on how you found the recipe

      Xoxo
      Samke
      Sugar&Spices

      Delete